My home is actually rustic in appearance, and the previous owner actually wanted to go with a country vibe, and a part of the vibe was a working fireplace. Technically my wife & I could split wood & burn it in the fireplace. That would serve as a heating proposal for the residing room, dining room & dining room, and i tried it a single time just to see. All of us don’t exactly live in the woods, however sourcing wood was a immense pain in the butt. I also didn’t realize how abruptly fire burns it. I thought I had wood for the entire month & it lasted maybe a day for us. Also, smoke, ash & soot are prominent with fires. Even having a grate keep the fire in didn’t actually stop all that gunk. The smell was horrendous too, and our whole home smelled love a campfire. The 2 of us hated it & agreed we were more traditional heating system people. Ever since then I have been trying to do something with the fireplace. I cleaned out the whole area to make it look new. The front of the fireplace used to be a cracked tile. I took a marble herringbone & spruced up the front of it. I added a wood frame around the fireplace so that it can serve as a shelf & mantle to hold stuff. The fireplace now looks cute & quaint. Sometimes my wife will put seasonal decorations in the fireplace & it looks actually good. It is kind of frustrating to have a functional heating system & not use it though.