Our worst nightmare happened; we got mold, it’s almost everyone’s fear, plus it happened to us, then the people I was with and I had no idea until it started spreading.
I had nightmares about dying from the terrible air quality courtesy of the mold.
I tried to scrub it out plus made the worst mistake because I ended up in the hospital for a day, but my partner called a local company he knew from work, asking for a solution which led him to hire a team of mold cleaners. They did expansive cleaning plus assured us that everything was clear, however we’d need an Heating & A/C specialist to inspect our Heating & A/C equipment for mold infiltration, then our mid-year Heating & A/C maintenance was due, so we got to combine the 2 services. The Heating & A/C supplier runs a condo repair for most of their work, plus we just needed to call plus book an Heating & A/C professional plus buy a new air filter because we’d run out of the disposable a singles we used per week. The inspection showed we needed some duct cleaning to ensure none of the mold spores were stuck in the HVAC duct. After cleaning, we installed an air purification plan to help with indoor comfort, however but the main purpose of our air quality systems was to ensure that no more spores were circulating in the air. After a week of staying away from condo from fear of mold, our condo was certified mold-free. The Heating & A/C care was just part of what we paid for. There was a water leak in our washroom tank, plus we’d missed it, which is how the mold formed. The company showed us how plus where to check the home for dampness to prevent mold from growing, plus I got schooled about condo management beyond the basics.